Wednesday 13 March 2013

Can We Become Our Own Journalists?


Canada has always been considered a democracy, citizens are able to vote and engage on who they think should represent them as a country.  With the rise of the Internet and social media, we are now able to take the term democracy to a new level as every citizen has access to social media and a voice to be heard.  In the past freedom of speech has been more difficult to achieve or every citizen didn’t exercise this freedom to the full extent.  Now freedom of speech in Canada allows every citizen the ability to become a journalist on any topic they are interested in or feel passionate about.  This was brought up in the article by Hermida who discussed the fact that journalist rely heavily on online tools, and since they are accessible to the public as well, more citizens have the ability to report on anything. For example just recently in this class we learned how to use Storify, and although I wasn’t aware of its existence before taking this class, I can see the benefits it possesses as you can research information from various social media sites and Internet stories to create a journalistic piece on any issue that is a topic of discussion.
I can really see the benefits that websites like Storify can have on social awareness and activism.  By putting websites together to connect to the main issue, information is easily accessible to anyone who searches that topic and wishes to be involved.  If that person then adds on to the issue by conducting their own research on the subject, the knowledge is expanded even further and a chain of events can occur.  If an issue is discussed enough online, the chances of it become aware in mainstream media is higher, and then the issue is brought to the eyes of a nation wide audience.  With this kind of chain of events, social activists are able to really connect with a large audience in a way that they could never do alone before.  We now have to voice to make mainstream media listen, and judge for ourselves what we want to see on television.  Although this chain of events doesn’t happen in every case, even having the issue circulating through the Internet is enough to make people think twice.  What was really noticed in the article from the Bulletin of Atomic Scientists, was the fact that television, which is the majority of people's go to news source, is lacking in reliability.  Now that we have the ability to discuss ideas in an open environment, we are relying on each other to get the facts straight.
I have to say that through this course my eyes have really been opened to the world of social media and the outcomes that can come from using it as more than a way to communicate with friends.  I still have my doubts about getting into twitter to get my points across, but I have to say that I really enjoy this blog.  I feel as though I am part of something bigger than my own life when I’m writing in it and though I don’t think anyone is listening other than in my class, if I continue writing past this course on things that really inspire me or issues I’m passionate about, I will be able to make a difference to somebody.  I also hope to use it to document my life through my travels, things that I’ve learned about different cultures and myself in hopes of connecting with someone who has had the same fears and doubts as me.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Alexa,

    I totally agree with you about your comments regarding Storify. Similar to you, I have never used Storify in the past but found it to be a great social media tool. It is a very user friendly application and the ability to create a journalistic article by simply drag and drop. I also agree when it comes to free speech. Social media has allowed people to speak their minds quite easily and in my experience a little too much. Twitter has enabled people this ability and for those who use it, they definitely take advantage of it. I like your idea of continuing to use your blog after the completion of this class to comment on your travels and document the different cultures you interact with.

    Thanks.

    Ty

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed your approach to the topic of social media and citizen journalism. Your specific line: “If an issue is discussed enough online, the chances of it become aware in mainstream media is higher, and then the issue is brought to the eyes of a nation wide audience.” defined the privilege of becoming a citizen journalist. I loved this line because I could relate directly to this concept. I discovered TOMS the shoe company 2 years ago. I read the book on TOMS and learned about their story and their “One for One” concept. Each time a pair of TOMS are purchased, a pair of TOMS are sent to under developed country to provide a child with a pair of shoes, which allows them the opportunity to go to school (as they must wear shoes to go) and protects the child from diseases. I thoroughly believe in this movement and wanted my support for this company to be heard. Therefore, I have posted photos of each pair of TOMS I have purchased and re-told the story of how purchasing a pair of these shoes can make such a difference on my social media accounts, and of course “liked” TOMS on Facebook. With my support and the addition of thousands, the story of TOMS has been brought forward and become quite the trend. As a citizen journalist I played a part in allowing the brand to be known nationwide, allowing millions of children the opportunity to own a pair of shoes, to provide them with a better tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete